Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Now What ?

I have spent the past few days trying to finish the hand drawn mural concept for the Chief City Runs with the Dogs event. Well at least trying finish the portion that is from a historic black and white photograph. This is the most important part of the mural so I am trying to make it look as good as possible. In the end I hope this will all transfer up to actual size on the mural. The drawing I am working on is about 18 inches wide and the mural will be painted on an 8' X 12' panel.

Since I have no idea who will actually be helping me once I get to the Pontiac, Il Walldog meet, I have to assume that I will need to paint the whole thing. This of course doesn't ever happen but I have to be prepared to help who ever walks up to help paint on the mural. After rendering all the detail into this drawing using mostly color pencils, I have a pretty fair idea of how I would paint it. Whether I can quickly train someone to jump in there and crank this out on site is yet to be seen.

Here is a detail shot of the drawing. The little man behind the Model A is about 2 inches tall for reference.







All the while I'm trying to draw this thing up I'm thinking about the house inspection that I have scheduled for tomorrow night. I've been watching some HGTV and some of the inspections don't go so well. I believe the little house that I have put an offer in on will have a pretty good showing at inspection. Just judging by all the other houses I toured, this one by far was in the best shape.

I keep thinking that I would really like to finish off the basement of the house I am buying and set up a portion of that for my studio space. Right now the basement of this house is pretty clean and doesn't have crazy stuff built in every corner like most of them. And it is one of a only a few houses that I looked at which doesn't have some cheesy 70's padded vinyl clad bar in the basement!

So I started thinking, if I am going to start renovating a house, I'm going to need more tools....Let's go shopping! There are a few tools that are must haves for any renovation project! Let's see, a good Sawzall is pretty handy, luckily I have one of those already. I will need a good 12" power miter saw and will most likely get a Makita brand when the wallet is a bit thicker than today! But I will need a good cordless hammer drill. So last night I stopped by the local Home Depot and bought this little beast.






I figure since I am from Milwaukee, I better buy that brand of tool. This thing has an all steel chuck and the battery flips around in either direction for clearance. It really heavy duty and best of all..IT WAS ON SALE! I figure I will be doing some hammer drilling into concrete and cement block so this should come in handy!

Now I just have to go and design a glass block bathroom.....I'm off!

1 comment:

  1. oooooo tools! fun! I'm completely in love with my Makita cordless drills.. better for girls as they're more lightweight yet very powerful. And they have a cool little led light to help you find your way around dark places too.

    Happy shopping! And dreaming!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete