Sunday, July 8, 2018

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Build

Have We Started Yet?


Some of my friends are probably tired of hearing that I am building a stock car. It seems like I have been talking a lot about it, but up to this point I can't really show much actual progress on the car itself. On my end though, I have put a lot of thought and energy (and dollars) into the Torino Tribute up to this point.

So when will I actually start the rebuild, or have I already started? I actually made an agreement to trade a race car lettering job for the Torino back on May 22, 2015. I would say that that would be the very start of this project. Below is the first time I saw the Torino at Pinkalla Auto Solutions in Racine, WI.



So, why haven't I actually done much work directly to the car? Well, there has been many factors that have drawn the process out for longer than I had hoped. A new job in a new State, moving into 3 different places in 2 years or so. Also, having to collect a bunch of 45 year old car parts has been a fairly involved adventure in itself.

We have already drove down to Kansas City to pick up a good chunk of the replacement body panels to be used in the rebuild. More recently, we drove down to Springfield, MO to pick up a Frankland quick change rear end unit. 



Here is the short list of what I have had to locate and purchase for this project...so far;

Doors, GTS hood, front fenders, both rear quarters, both upper and lower valance panels, front and rear bumpers, trunk lid, shifter hump, gauges, engine, transmission, bellhousing, shifter, wheels and tires, rear end, headlight buckets, rt. side fender extension, and the list goes on.

After finding all of these parts, most of them have had to be cleaned and prepared for installation. In the case of the body panels, I had to strip old paint, cut off all dead weight metal and then prime. This is a process I am still working on. Here is one of the doors after prep work was completed.



Back in early May of 2017, we finally made the trip down to Racine, WI and hauled the Torino up closer to where we live. The plan was to get as many parts ready to go as possible and then make a big push on the rebuild. Currently I am exploring my options in finding a place big enough and close enough to make the rebuild practical.



More recently, I have been exploring what the final paint job on the Torino will look like. Actually, this has been a year long project. I purchased what I thought might be the right colors in single-stage (acrylic enamel) paint and painted my first test panel. The early 70's Ford Yellow that I picked out did not look at all like the right shade, so I started on a 2nd test panel.

I managed to find a yellow color that matched the images that I have of Punky's original Torino. I then started doing the various hand lettering samples that will eventually get painted on the car.







Within the last month or so, I made a trip over to where the race car is being stored. My intent was to really look things over and put together the final list of parts and pieces that are needed. 

I discovered that most of the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, and some of the roll cage needs attention. I also found that the radiator support has been cut and damaged to the point where it will need to be replaced. 

After much mental debate, I decided that the seat that came in the Torino was not worth using, so I ordered a new one. At the same time I pulled the fuel cell and determined that I could rebuild it to look like new. I am currently exploring options for covering the original headlight areas with aluminum covers. There is metal that needs to be added in some areas to make it work and there is also some metal that is not needed and will be removed.

Here are a couple pictures of the car as it sits at the time of this post. I took the test panels over just to get a feel for what it will look like with fresh colors applied. 





Well, since I am into my 3rd year on this project, it's too late to quit now, best to keep pushing on...take care for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment