Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Keeping it Simple!

One thing I am going to need in a studio space is a utility sink. In the home I am buying there is an existing galvanized double tub utility sink in the basement. It looks to be the original equipment installed in the house back around 1960. The faucet also looks to be original as the hot water handle was frozen shut when I did the walk-through. The seller said they would make sure that it is working before the closing but it's going bye bye anyway. The area in the basement that will be used for the laundry, including the utility sink are definitely in need of a re-do! So all of it will have to go or be changed, but to what is the question?

Most people would probably just spin over to depot or lowes and pick up a new plastic utility sink. There are really only two choices in that category. One is the old standard single tub unit....about $30-$70 depending on the quality?






Or you can go all out and grab the double tub for around $110.





Or if you want to really drain the wallet, you can go with Stainless Steel! There is the single bowl stainless utility sink. But then I would need to buy or build a vanity or cabinet of some sort? Since most of these vanity type things are built of wood and basements are generally damp....I think I will avoid the wood option for now. And even these sinks are not very cheap.




If I wanted to go all out with the stainless option I could pick one of these little units up for about $800 - $1000?




Not so much, Next option. I also saw a wall mount sink set into a wood base. This option is nice looking but also very expensive, $900. Plus you have the wood thing going on again!



So on to plan D! I thought I would just build my own. I am thinking of using one of the counter top glass reinforced single tub sinks like this one....




But instead of dealing with any wood substrates, that can take moisture on, I plan on building a stainless steel base unit. I did a little ideation sketch to figure out how this thing will go together. Then I went ahead and did a 3D rendering using Google's SketchUp.




The proportions are off a little bit on this but hey it's my first real sketch using this program....





The sink itself runs about $70. The legs are about $30 each or $120 per set. Since I have access to some pretty cool tools, I can just bend up the upper portion. Using the smaller sink will free up more space for the washer and dryer and possibly a stainless steel folding table!

Ah, the mind of an Industrial Designer - everything can be made better, you just have to figure out how?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Ok, I'm reposting in an effort to edit cuz I had something to add.)

    Let's just say I feel really sorry for any future dude that lands in my life. To have someone actually fabricate what I'm dreaming up?!? Miraculous.

    I want skills. BAD.

    Fabulous idea! Can't wait to see it come to life! Boy you're gonna have fun.

    Edited to add:

    If you put the cross supports on all sides but the front, you have a nice space to shove something under the sink if you so desire.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not just carve it out ofa solid block of abs, with a utility knife.now thats the way to do it:)

    ReplyDelete