Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Project

The Trade...


In my last post I introduced the Punky Manor - Tribute Late Model project and mentioned that I agreed to trade a hand-lettered paint job for the 1972 Gran Torino Sport stock car.

I did my first hand painted lettering "job" back in the mid 70's. I believe it was on my friends Chevelle Street Stock. Over the years I lettered quite a few race cars. Most dirt track cars these days are either done in cut vinyl or printed wraps (or both), so I was excited to get the chance to do a hand-painted project on the Pinkala's "new" race car.

I drove over to check out their progress on the race car and to discuss how they wanted it lettered. They were just finishing up painting the entire car white on my first visit.


The Pinkala's had found a Corvair body to hang on their chassis for the upcoming season. I had been involved in racing for a long time but I have never seen a Corvair dirt tracker. As you can see in the image above, the sheet metal and prep job was very well done. This was going to be an excellent metal "canvas" to work on!

The PInkala's have been doing a play on their name and painting their race cars, karts and service vehicles in a pink and white theme. The Corvair was in the process of having it's one-of-kind pink panels taped up.


When I went back to start lettering, the car when fully painted and ready to go. I based the number more-or-less on what they had done in the past One request was to put their business name down most of the side of the car. As with most paint jobs, there were a few fun additions to be included.

 I got busy and started putting some color on....


Along the way, we decided to add Wile E. Coyote to the sides of the car. Then I thought I would do a little something fun on the trunk to highlight my company signature. Since the engine was originally in the "trunk" we put the cubic inch numbers on either side of the rear deck (In the stock motor size of course) . In the middle of the deck lid, I painted my "signature."


They also wanted to include Ralph Nader's infamous quote about the safety of the Corvair automobile!

  
The completed lettering job below.



So, now that I have my part of the trade completed, it is time to go check out the Torino...that will be the topic of the next blog. Take care for now,

No comments:

Post a Comment