Thursday, September 1, 2016

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Project

Race Car - Project Appraisal...


My last post described the hand-lettered paint job I did on the Corvair dirt track car for the PInkala's. Now that I have that part completed, it's time to look over the Torino and make an assessment of what will be required for the upcoming tribute build.

I went down to clean out the car, shoot some pics and to make a mental list of needed items. I must warn the reader up front that some have suggested that I over think things a bit. Others might try and tell you that I am a perfectionist. Not sure where this comes from, but I do tend to focus on the details. You can draw your own conclusions as we go along. 

Punky Manor Memorial

On my first walk around, the Torino looks pretty complete. There is a decent roll cage inside, a fuel cell, aluminum racing seat, gauges, coil adjusters on all 4-corners, chrome wheels with asphalt tires. An engine and transmission was not included with the car.  



The sheet metal is pretty decent but the car has seen a few laps so there a few panels that will need attention. The passenger side seems to have had quite a bit of repair done and will need some "new" tin! The problem with that statement is that the car is 44 years old and I will soon find out that parts are not that easy to shop for.


The right side front fender extension and headlight bezel were missing, so I will need to find replacements.  


There were a few extra parts inside the car as well. The rear bumper is tucked away inside there but it had taken a pretty hard hit on the right side. 


Now the mental parts list starts to kick in. Big Block engine and 4-speed, new sheet metal, vintage racing wheels and tires, paint job, lettering, car hauler.....wait, I need to get the car somewhere close by to be able to work on it! More on that in future posts.

For now, I need to start small and begin picking up parts and pieces as I go. When I started to restore my 1969 Camaro, I made a complete parts list and it was very overwhelming. Small steps are the way to go for now on this one. 

Till next time, take care




1 comment: