Friday, September 30, 2016

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Build

Build Exploration...Part 2


In my last blog I mentioned sketching up a few concept renderings to explore the final paint job I want to do on the Torino Tribute car.

There are many ways of doing sketches and over the past 30 years or so my technique has evolved into something that works for me. Some people might go about this process in a totally different way and that is fine. This is the fastest and most accurate process that I have come up with to accomplish my visual exploration goals.

I started drawing and sketching cars in my early teens and started hand lettering race cars when I was 16. Later in life I worked for an advertising firm where I learned to screen print my designs on a wide variety of garments. I can also hand paint automotive illustrations in a wide variety of media and scale. 

To start my drawing process I did an online search for reference images of the different views I wanted to draw. I found quite a few images of 1972 Torinos that I could modify and or manipulate for my purposes. I use these images to get the proportions correct and to speed up the drawing process. Once I get a composite image assembled, I build up each finished rendering from a basic pencil sketch.

I used Adobe's PhotoShop program to add the number, sponsors, and the tires and wheels over the photos I found online. I then print the reference image out at full-size and tile and tape the different letter sized sheets together (if final rendering size is bigger that letter size).

Here is one of the rear view images I am going to use.


  
And below is the same image with the number, logos, decals, and tires and wheels added.



Once I have the image printed, I can then do a transfer on to the Illustration board or whatever substrate I am going to do the final rendering on. The transfer can be done by using carbon paper or by applying graphite to the back of the printed reference image pages.

Here is the initial sketch after being transferred to a sheet of 14" X 17" Bristol and highlighted a bit with a No. 4 hard pencil. I have just started to apply marker details here as well.


Once the initial sketch is completed I use a wide variety of pencils, markers, french curves, ellipse templates, and various other tools to complete the full color version. 

Here is the rear view fully rendered....


And below is a couple of views of the front end....



I believe I have decided to go with a composite of both the 1963 Galaxie and the 1973 Torino's paint jobs. The Schlitz logo is an icon from the 60's and 70's that a lot of people can relate to. The contingency decals also give the car the vintage race car feel. I also want to include Punky's Dad Neil's Auto Body on the deck lid.

Now all I have to do is locate a bunch of vintage racing decals and design the layout for the trunk. I also need to do some research on the original 1973 Ford paint colors.

Next up, I hope to have located the decals I need for this project and to explore a paint color sample panel.

Take care...

No comments:

Post a Comment