Monday, October 10, 2016

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Build

Build Exploration...Part 4


In this blog I would like to discuss another element of the design thinking behind the Tribute Torino Build, the paint job!

There are many different approaches to building a vintage stock car. I have seen some of these race cars built using old methods and techniques, keeping the appearance very period correct. Then I have also seen some who build their cars using current technology, tools and finishes.

One area where these differences can be noticed is in how a car is painted. Over the past 40 years, automotive paint finishes have changed dramatically. Back when Punky built the original Torino, Basecoat - Clearcoat paint systems were not yet in use. Basecoat paint systems were first used in the late 70’s and were too expensive initially to be used on anything but high-end automobiles.

Having used both types of paint myself over the past 40 years, I can tell the difference between a single-stage (acrylic enamel) and the new Basecoat Clearcoat (urethane) finishes. The question is, whether or not I want it to look like the original paint job or something that might look relatively new?

Since I will be hand-lettering the race car, I believe I would prefer to have the paint/finish look like it was done 40 years ago. So I will eventually be painting the base colors using single-stage paint.

First off, I need to find the paint codes from the early 70's. Once again I did some searching and located the Ford paint color chart from 1973.

Here is what I found...




There are two different colors of white on the chart and it is hard to tell which one would be the bright white I am looking for. I have another chart that shows the Pearl White as being darker, so I will need to do a test panel. I believe that the yellow I need to use on this project is Code 6E Med. Bright Yellow. Once again, the test panel will help confirm the colors before I invest in large quantities of paint.

If you ever need to look up a vintage paint code, TCP Global has a webpage where they say; "We will match any paint color." It can be found here...


I found the correct color chart by entering the Year and Make in their Classic (1950 - 1977) Section.

I was then able to look up cross-reference paint code number on a site called PaintRef.com. 


Now that I have all the correct (up-to-date) paint code numbers, I will be able to purchase small quantities of paint and do a test panel for the base paint colors and hand lettering samples.

From the artwork I have already created, I put together a small version of the numbers, Punky's name, (and His Dad's business name for the deck lid), and will paint these all on the test panel (two-sided).

I will be painting the test colors on an 18" X 24" piece of Aluminum Composite Panel. The panel will be shot with primer on both side and then I will paint the white and yellow.

Here is the test panel artwork....





In my next blog in the series on design direction, I will discuss some of the other elements of the car. I need to explore how to cover over all the holes in the factory sheet metal. Wheels and tires are another area that I need to explore. The interior is yet another area that needs further design exploration. 

Take care until next time....thanks

     

No comments:

Post a Comment