Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Build

Getting it There...


In my blog posts on the Punky Manor Tribute Build up to this point I have focused on the race car itself. Eventually I will need to figure out how to haul the car to the race tracks and various car shows in the area.

I only have a couple of pictures of Punky's car haulers that he used back in the day. The first one is a mid 50's yellow Ford with the Torino on back. The other hauler that He used for the rest of his racing career was an early 70's white Ford.



The White Ford hauler I remember fairly well as I rode in it to a couple different races. At that time it had a regular two-door cab on it. Sometime after that, the cab/truck was extended to have four-doors. 

When I first started out on the planning for the Tribute Torino, I thought It would be nice to find or build a dedicated long-frame race car hauler that was common back in the 70's.




I did a few searches and found what I thought were a couple of good candidates. Then I started to wonder what I would use the race car hauler for in the off-season? There is also the issue of storing a fairly large vehicle when not in use?

After thinking about it a bit more, I started to explore a 2nd more practical option. I think it might be a better option to find and fix up an early 70's Ford truck and then buy an open stock car trailer. That way I could use the Ford truck as a daily driver and when needed, use it for both hauling the race car on the trailer and to do our mural painting projects.

So, I have started to look for both an early 70's Ford Pickup in decent shape and a 2-axle open car trailer. I would really like to find a 1970 - 1972 Ford Pickup and a trailer that is set up already with a tire rack. But I may need to lower my expectations a bit!






Well, that's the plan for getting the race car to the track. With some luck and perhaps some help from friends, I can locate a good truck and trailer option for the Tribute Build.

Thanks for visiting....take care
  

No comments:

Post a Comment