Thursday, November 2, 2017

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Build

Tools - always one more!


One thing I did not really think much about when I decided to build a vintage race car is the additional tools that would be needed. I already own a pretty extensive collection of hand tools, but there always seems to be additional tools that are needed when taking on a project like this.

First off, I do not work on engines or heavy pieces of equipment very often. In the past, I would usually just borrow an engine hoist when I needed one. When the time came to retrieve the 460 cubic inch "boat" motor I had purchased, I finally decided it was time to get an engine hoist.

I ended up buying a 2 ton foldable shop crane. Since I will need to move the engine several times during the build of the race car, it made the most sense to just buy one. I also picked up a heavy duty floor jack for getting the race car up off the ground.


There was also the need to put the engine somewhere to work on once I got it hauled home. Fortunately I built myself a heavy duty engine stand way back in the day. It had been sitting around for quite a while, so i needed to freshen it up a bit. I cleaned it up and put a new coat of paint on, and it was ready to go.


When I started to look at how to do the wiring for the race car, I realized I didn't have any decent tools for the task. I decided to build a fuse block so I purchased a decent soldering gun, a butane micro torch, a decent wire stripper, as well as wire terminal and shrink tube kits. 


A big part of this project is the replacement of the old body panels.The original sheet metal on the Torino has seen some action on the track and it shows. There are crudely applied patch panels. The entire passenger side of the race car is covered with large patches of body filler. 

Instead of trying to repair the roughed up panels, I decided to search and find as many replacement body parts as I could. Most of the body will end up be replaced.

In order to speed up the replacement process, I am prepping all the parts before I haul the car off to the rebuild location. This involves cutting off as much of the inner (dead weight) sheet metal as I can. I will do a separate post describing that process in detail later on.

I have prepped several of the panels already and have a few left to finish up to primer. During the process I did have to buy several new air tools and a ton of sanding and grinding supplies.

Then there are special tools that are very nice to have. In order to hang sheet metal a Cleco temporary fastener tool is very helpful. 

I also picked up an engine lift plate that bolts to the intake of the engine when you need to lift it with an engine hoist.

Another tool that is nice to have for prepping the new body panels is a body hammer and dolly set.

I have quite a few rivets to install during the build so I decided that a pneumatic air rivet tool would be nice as well.

And finally, in order to clean up all the old bolts and threaded fasteners, I ordered a thread restorer tap and die set.


Next time I will cover some of the safety equipment that I will be purchasing along the way. There are certain parts and equipment that are required based on the Vintage Racing Club rules, and other safety gear needed to be safe out on the track. Take care for now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment