Monday, November 27, 2017

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Build

Aesthetics - details make the difference


In my last post I mentioned the rules and safety guidelines that I will follow while building the Vintage Late Model-Tribute Torino. Those same rules and guidelines are also going to drive the overall "look" and design of the car. 

There are several major points in the rule books that I would like to cover in the next couple of posts. Some of these points are related to the major evolution of dirt track racing that has taken place since 1974. I will also cover some of the finer details that I am working on to keep the Tribute car as authentic and period correct as I can. 

Just a little disclaimer I will toss in here. Some people might not agree with some of my views on the topic of modern vs. vintage race cars, I am just putting this information out here as a reference for how I am building this particular car. And it also might explain a bit of why I am building this car as well.

One sentence that really stuck out for me in the 1982 Red Cedar Speedway - Official Rules was; "Keep it Looking like a car".  There were several rules (back in the era when Punky raced the Torino), that kept a race car looking like a factory car.

A few of them are as follows;

1. Visual stock 1972 through 1982 U.S. made cars only.
2. Cars must have complete front fenders & hood with no sharp edges.
3. No hood or roof spoilers. Rear spoilers and fins may not be more than 42" total height from ground and may not extend past the sides of the body or past the rear bumper. No extreme roof line variations allowed.
4. Chrome Bumpers are required and may be reinforced to provide safe attachment and proper protection, but must remain in stock position. Nothing can be sticking out the ends.
5. All cars must have a neat paint job and must have identifying numbers painted on the top, the right, and the left sides. The drivers name must be printed (paint) in 4" letters on the right side of the car. Numbers shall be in contrasting colors to the car's paint. It is recommended that all cars have a light colored paint job.
6. There must be a complete set of floor boards in the driver's compartment.

Back in the early 1980's the WISSOTA Promoters Association was founded with the intent to offer uniform rules for the promoters and drivers involved in the Late Model division. Soon after it decided to do the same for the Modified class. So the rules and guidelines I mentioned above were pretty much retired. The era of "Keep it looking like a car" ended with the introduction of the Wissota rule changes.

One of my favorite things about going to the races in the 1970's was waiting to see what types of cars were going to show up at the first race. Might be a Mustang Fastback, Dodge Challenger, Chevelle, Nova, Barracuda, Javelin, Falcon, or maybe even a Corvette.

In 1974 my favorite car was the yellow and white Number 57 Ford Torino, driven by Punky (Neil Jr.) Manor.

The images below show the transformation from the 1970's dirt track cars to the modern Wissota Late Models.

 

My major goal in building the Punky Manor Tribute Torino is to inspire people who see the car to be transported back to the mid 70's and remember the great old race cars of that era. I can only achieve that goal by keeping the overall build of the race car as period-correct as possible. 

This type of "attention" to detail can add quite a bit of research time and end up raising the cost of the build, but to me it is worth the extra effort and expense.

Here is a partial list of items that I am planning to apply to the build;

1. No base coat/clear coat (2 stage) paint will be used - Single Stage Paint Only. Base-coats were not even developed in 1974 - I can spot the difference, so I will be painting the Torino with Acrylic Enamel single stage paint. 
2. No vinyl lettering will be applied to this car - The only vinyl going on the Torino is the small product decal stickers that Punky used on his Galaxie in 1973. The rest of the car will be hand lettered using enamel paint.
3. No Modern racing wheels. If you look at the photos above you will see that the 70's cars have painted steel wheels, not polished aluminum or chrome with round holes.
4. Engine components and accessories will be as stock as possible. No aluminum brackets, mini starters, no modern intakes or polished carbs, no electric fans, oil coolers, or aluminum radiator.
5. Vintage tires to be used for shows - I have a set of McCreary racing tires that I will use for shows and parades. On the Track I will most likely run American Racer dirt tires.
6. No rear spoiler. Did not come on the car and wasn't used back then. 

Below are images showing vintage era parts on the left and modern racing equipment on the right. 


In my next post I will point out some of the specific parts I am using on the Tribute Torino and why they make a difference. Take Care for now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment