Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Punky Manor - Vintage Stock Car - Tribute Build

Engine - The main challenge of the build (Part 2)


Although finding replacement body panels for the Tribute Torino has presented a few challenges, it's the engine I worried over the most. Initially I tried to find an engine similar to the ones Punky ran in his Torino back in 1974. Either a 427, 428, maybe even a 406. I was having a difficult time finding one of those engines that I could afford so I changed my plan a bit. 

I decided to look for a 460 cubic inch marine engine instead. They are easier to find and are much more affordable than a specific car engine that people are hunting for to use in their restoration projects. 

In my last post I talked about the two different 460's that I had purchased for my race car build. The 2nd and more recent one was running, I just had to make it look more like a car engine than something that came out of a boat.

I started the process by swapping out the marine specific parts for parts designed for a car. The water pump and timing chain cover were specifically designed to be used with OMC accessories and would not work with the engine parts I needed to install.

The OMC 460 King Cobra engine was also equipped with an oil pan made for a truck. The deep part of the pan was towards the back of the engine, where the car engines used a front sump pan. I had already purchased a new water pump and was able to use the timing chain cover from the first (Hardin Marine) engine I bought.


  
I cleaned the engine off pretty well and then masked off everything that didn't need or shouldn't have paint on it. 



After all that, I sprayed the engine with some old Ford blue paint.



Finally I bolted on the Hardin Marine Valve covers that I had re-chromed. I also added the Hardin Marine decals that I recreated, and a Mustang style air cleaner.





Once I had the engine nearly ready to run I decided that I should build a test-run engine stand. I needed to test all the components that were going in the race car as well as see if the radiator held water. I looked at a few examples on the internet and combined the best attributes of them all. 







Well, for the most part all the components seem to work. This is really the first time I've tried to build my own wiring harness. I still have to figure out the correct wiring for the alternator and charging system. Here is a little video of one of the first test fires.



Currently, I have shifted gears a bit. I now have the Torino home where I can work on it. I have decided to start on the rear of the car and work my way forward. I've had areas of the car that will be rebuilt sand blasted, but most of the body panels will be replaced. In my next post I will cover the progress I have made on the Torino so far. Take care



No comments:

Post a Comment